Protection of Journalism and Safety of Journalists:
from a Chilling to an Enabling Environment
IViR Conference, 5 September 2018
Amsterdam Law School
Panel I: Enhancing the implementation of international and European standards of protection
Council of Europe
- Recommendation CM/Rec(2016)4 of the Committee of Ministers to member States on the protection of journalism and safety of journalists and other media actors, 13 April 2016.
- Implementation of Recommendation CM/Rec(2016)4.
- Platform to promote the protection of journalism and the safety of journalists.
- Safety of Journalists portal site.
- Philip Leach, The principles which can be drawn from the case-law of the European Court of Human Rights relating to the protection and safety of journalists and journalism, Report, Doc. No. MCM(2013)012, the Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Media and Information Society, ‘Freedom of Expression and Democracy in the Digital Age: Opportunities, Rights, Responsibilities’, Belgrade, 7-8 November 2013.
- Tarlach McGonagle, How to address current threats to journalism?: The role of the Council of Europe in protecting journalists and other media actors, Expert paper, Doc. No. MCM 2013(009), the Council of Europe Conference of Ministers responsible for Media and Information Society, ‘Freedom of Expression and Democracy in the Digital Age: Opportunities, Rights, Responsibilities’, Belgrade, 7-8 November 2013.
- Tarlach McGonagle (ed.) and Dirk Voorhoof, Freedom of Expression, the Media and Journalists: Case-law of the European Court of Human Rights, IRIS Themes, Vol. III, 4th edition, Strasbourg: European Audiovisual Observatory, 2017.
- Dunja Mijatović, “Protection of journalists from violence”, in Human rights and a changing media landscape (Strasbourg, Council of Europe Publishing, 2011), pp. 21-45.
- Sejal Parmar, The Protection and Safety of Journalists: A Review of International and Regional Human Rights Law, Background paper, Seminar and Inter-regional Dialogue on the Protection of Journalists: Towards an effective framework of protection for the work of journalists and an end to impunity, Strasbourg, 3 November 2014.
Panel II: Key issues and challenges & Panel IV: New strategies and new alliances
- OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, Safety of Female Journalists Online (#SOFJO).
- UNESCO International Programme for the Development of Communication, UN Plan of Action on the Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity, 2012.
- UNESCO Safety of Journalists portal site.
- Onur Andreotti (ed.), Journalism at risk: Threats, challenges and perspectives, Strasbourg: Council of Europe Publishing 2015.
- Ulla Carlsson & Reeta Pöyhtäri (eds.), The Assault on Journalism (Göteborg, Nordicom, 2017).
- William Horsley, Safety of journalists Guidebook (2nd edition) (Vienna, OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, 2014).
- International Federation of Journalists, Proposal for an International Convention on the Safety and Independence of Journalists and Other Media Professionals (March 2018)
Panel III: The Netherlands – an audit and recommendations
- ‘Audit of freedom of expression in the Netherlands’ Project page.
- M.W.A. Odekerken & A.F.M. Brenninkmeijer, Een dreigend klimaat, 2017.
- Akkoord Stuurgroep Agressie en geweld tegen journalisten, via NVJ website, 19 juli 2018.
- Otto Volgenant & Tarlach McGonagle, ‘Kroniek Persrecht 2017’, Mediaforum 2018-3, 67-69.